I read the recommended improvements for PVHS in the Post yesterday. Anyone have any idea as to the projected cost? They are also recommending a geothermal heating system - I found that a bit ironic here in the midst of all the coal.
I read the recommended improvements for PVHS in the Post yesterday. Anyone have any idea as to the projected cost? They are also recommending a geothermal heating system - I found that a bit ironic here in the midst of all the coal.
The cost will be presented On Feb. 27th. I would like to go, but have another meeting to attend.
You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."
If I read correctly, St. Paul and Appalachia's are both presented today and then the cost is given at the school board meeting on the 27th.
Did anybody read of all the additions taking place, in particularly at Pound?
The coalfield had articles about coeburn today but an interesting comment and a very valid comment was made in a second article dealing with Coeburn.
It was as follows..
Gina Porter asked how the logistics of renovation might play out, noting that Thompson has proposed temporary movable classrooms to house students while portions of the school are torn up for extensive work.
The details of timeframe and order would be worked out if renovation plans were approved and moved into the final stages of design, Thompson explained. Floor plans and estimates that are currently being generated by architects are part of a study, not of a final design for execution of the projects.
Killough chimed in, noting that any renovation would take 18 to 24 months. And those would be busy years, he added.
"Eighteen months is a conservative estimate,"? he added, noting that a full-scale renovation project in an occupied building is a tricky thing to orchestrate. "It can be done, but it's unpleasant. You'll have noises and smells all over the place."?
Renovating, rather than building new, requires large contingency funds, Killough added, because architects and contractors can't always predict what's waiting for them behind walls or underneath floors.
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.
Never thought I'd reach this point, as I've been anti-consolidation, but I really see it (consolidation) as being the only viable choice. Killough makes a good point in that those unseen problems and changes can (and usually do) pop up unexpectedly. I truly believe I'd rather see 3 new schools and 6 remodeled ones.
Follow-up question: If a town doesn't want consolidation, can they incorporate and prevent it? I'm sure there are alot of considerations if one chose to do so.
Was talking to someone about old buildings and how that is goes without saying that nearly anytime you try to do anything to an old house or building, there is a load of problems that come up that never are considered or even thought about.
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.
it's just a matter of time...............
[img]http://www.usersigs.com/site/./data/media/14/581140986869_2.png[/img]
I can speak from personal experience with my own old house (1940s era) that whenever you try to either repair or refurbish anything it always becomes a much larger job than you originally envisioned and I suspect the same will be the case when they actually start retrofitting or renovating any of these old high school buildings.
Based upon the suggested renovations/additions presented thus far, I suspect that when the final cost estimates come out, the taxpayers of Wise County will be looking at a figures well over $100 million. And we'll still have a bunch of old buildings with some new "stuff" slapped on them as a stop gap measure, IMO. PVHS's list of renovations sounded the most reasonable thus far, but the list of additions to Pound's sounds ludicrous to me. I don't want to loose my home high school, but we have to look at this with some common sense, too. I'd rather see them add a new two-story addition on to JW Adams Combined for our high school students than to send one dime on that old building up on the hill. Especially now that the turn lanes/crossover on the 4-lane at the entrance to JW Adams is finally being addressed in the very near future. Anyway, I'm uneasily awaiting the final cost projection next Tuesday and to see where we go from here. I suspect it will be a painful process regardless, but I hope those who have been elected to oversee these things will use some common sense and fiscal responsibility when making the final decision of what is best for the next several generations of Wise County children. Thus far, it just sounds like a big wish list being presented, but, thats my two cents.
......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......
Bookmarks